Welcome to a new paradigm of contemporary dance.
It is time for contemporary dance in Singapore to embrace a new form; the dance battle.
It is time to remember why we dance. To remember what moves us. To relive the moments when we were first inspired to point our feet or spin on our heads, or fly through the air in a grand jeté or backflip.
Because it's fun. And exciting. And cool. It could be because our friends do it, and we want to do it better than them. Or simply because it feels great to move to the impulses of music.
Paradigm Shift is about reconnecting contemporary dance to these reasons for moving. Come to show-off; come to enjoy the music; come to have fun and fool around; come to share your dance in conversation with another person. One will walk away from each battle the winner, but both walk away a little bit richer, having challenged, given, received, experienced and learned.
So come, join us in this new Paradigm.
27 MAY 2017
Frontier Danceland Studio
90 Goodman Road, Blk M #02-52, 439053 Singapore
5pm-10pm (registration opens at 4pm)
Participants (32 slots): S$15 / 12 (concessions* + Friends of Frontier)
Audience: S$5 / 3 (concessions* + Friends of Frontier)
*Concessions = students, NSFs, senior citizens.
1st: S$200 + Friends of Frontier membership
Runner-up: S$100 + Friends of Frontier membership
++ Additional prizes for top 8
DJ Bolo will be giving us a variety of music for this event!
Chan Sze Wei
3 more judges to be confirmed...
- The format of this battle is 1 v 1.
- To register as a participant, leave a comment on the Facebook event page with your preferred name/nickname and age. (All slots have been filled, but you may still register to be put on the waiting list)
- All dancers, regardless of dance background or level of experience, will be allowed to participate. This includes professional, full-time dancers and dance instructors.
- Participants under the age of 16 will be required to have their parents sign a consent form for them in order to participate.
- The first two rounds (round of 32 and round of 16) will be crowd-judged based on the loudest cheer.
- You may reserve places in the audience by filling in this form. Please note that there is a maximum capacity at the event of about 180 people.
- Payment will be taken at the door. (CASH ONLY)
If you have any queries, feel free to contact firstname.lastname@example.org
This event is supported by:
Come to our 2nd open jam and sharing session on the 14th of May. This free and informal run-up event hopes to answer two main questions:
What is a battle, and how do I do it?
What is contemporary dance, and does what I do count?
So if you think you have something to share, even if it's a tiny nugget of experience, or would like to find out more, come on down to our studio on the 14th of May at 7.30pm to share and listen, meet some new friends and of course, dance.